Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Learning Mandarin




The kids and I started Mandarin (Chinese) language classes in January. It has been wonderful to see Emma be eager about re-learning her native language. Over the past two years she has forgotten so much. In an effort to teach her English and prepare her for kindergarten this year it has been difficult to maintain her Mandarin language. When a friend told us about this school offered on Sunday afternoons we were super excited. The boys showed an interest too so we signed them up for class as well. So far we have learned how to count to 20, colors, numbers, family names, fruits, I want..., I am...., I am....years old, and several songs. We have also learned four Chinese songs. The kids practice speaking but also writing. It is beautiful to see them write. Each character looks like a piece of art. The kids have learned to write 1-10, people, big, small, and mouth. The students range in age from 4-12. Some are adopted and some are not. There are two teachers for the class. One lady is from Taiwan and the other is from China. Both are precious and have such a love for children and teaching. It has been a wonderful experience. I look forward to us all learning more.

No comments: